We have lots of packets of seeds processed from last month that need labelling and more seeds to be processed.
What to Bring on the Day
To help with seed processing, it would be greatly appreciated if you could please bring:
- any spare shallow trays or plates (this enables us to sort and blow off chaff)
- sieves & strainers (kitchen sieves of any size are useful to remove chaff from seeds)
|Metal or plastic strainers/sieves and shallow oven or kitchen trays are useful processing tools.|
- teaspoons (for measuring into bags)
- artist's or pastry brushes (for brushing away fine chaff from seed)
|Flat plastic plates and pastry brushes are always useful|
The more of these materials we have, the more people can get involved in seed processing.
Plant & Seed Swap/Share
- Any seeds, cuttings, plant material or excess produce from your garden you would like to share. A pair of scissors and secateurs are also handy tools for taking extra cuttings on the day.
|Snip cuttings fresh if possible and bring some extra newspaper to wrap around them to keep them from drying out|
- A plant you know how to grow or cook - we'd love to hear your experiences. This helps build the group knowledge-bank.
|Feel free to bring plant material from your garden along|
We'll all go home with fresh seeds and plant material and as usual will be distributing free seeds from the Seed Bank.
Sweethearts Cafe offer us a large space to meet for free (saving us a hall hire fee) but as a business are in effect hiring out that area to us for a couple of hours. So as a courtesy please remember to at the very least order a tea/coffee or a meal, to support the cafe. Thank you!
See you soon.
by Anne Gibson